- 1 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
- 2 peppers (one red, one yellow), deseeded and thickly sliced
- 250 g pack white mushrooms, quartered
- 250 g long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp five-spice powder
- 3 tbsp dry sherry (optional)
- 1 can KOO Petits Pois Surfmaid Peas
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Bunch spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce, or more
Kitchen gadgets:Deep frying pan, sharp knife
- Boil the kettle. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan then add the peppers and mushrooms. Fry over a high heat for 3 minutes or until starting to soften and turn golden. Turn down the heat and stir in the rice, garlic and five-spice. Sizzle for 2 minutes, then splash in the sherry, if using, and top up with 350 ml hot water.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until all of the liquid has gone and the rice is tender, stirring now and again. Add the peas for the final few minutes.
- Heat another frying pan, add a drop of the sesame oil, then add the eggs. Swirl around the pan to make a thin omelette. Once set, turn out onto a board, roll up and shred thinly. Tip the egg and spring onions onto the rice, fluff up with a fork, season with soy sauce and sesame oil, then serve.