- 500 ml cream
- 500 ml full cream milk
- 200 g sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cans KOO Lite Peach Slices, drained
- 250 g short crust pastry
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 ½ cup icing sugar
Kitchen gadgets:Tart pan, electric beater or whisk, pot
- Pastry: Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until large enough to line a 23cm deep dish tart tin. Trim the excess pastry from around the edge, then line the pastry case with baking paper, fill with baking beans and chill for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 180°C. Bake the pastry case for 15 minutess, then carefully lift out the baking paper and beans, and bake for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Peach Custard: Place the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Pour the hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs while whisking. Strain the custard through a fine sieve and let it cool in an ice bath slightly. Spread a layer of the peaches on the pastry pie base and top with the custard. Bake at 180°C for about 30 - 40 minutes or until the center is set. Let it cool completely.
- Meringue: Once ready to serve, make the swiss meringue by placing the egg whites into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and lightly whisking until the egg whites reach soft peak stage. Add the sugar and whisk until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch. Remove the bowl from the heat and using an electric mixer, whisk for 5 - 10 minutes or until the meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Spread the meringue on top of the pie and use a kitchen blowtorch to burnish the outside of the pie into a rich golden brown.