- 200 g wholemeal flour
- 85 g Jungle Oats
- ½ cup KOO Lentils, drained and dried of all moisture
- ½ cup finely grated carrot
- 125 g butter
- Oil for cooking
- 3 large onions, sliced in half rings
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup leeks, sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups KOO Spiced & Grated Beetroot, drained very well of any liquid
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup peppered feta, crumbled
- Micro herbs for garnish
Kitchen gadgets:Frying pan, low quiche/tart pan
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Pastry: Add the flour, oats and butter to a food processor. Blitz until crumb like. Add the carrot and the lentils and process until the mixture comes together to form a ball. Add a little cold water if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface and carefully line a shallow tart/quiche pan. Ensure edges are neat and even. Chill for 15 Minutes.
- Bake blind for 15 Minutes.
- Filling: Sauté; onions, garlic and leeks in a little oil until softened and starting to caramelized. Sprinkle with sugar and balsamic vinegar and allow to cook until reduced and syrupy.
- Assembly of Tart: Place the drained beetroot at the bottom of the tart pan. Spoon the cooked onions evenly over the beetroot.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together, season with salt and pepper and pour over the onions and beetroot. Bake in the oven for 15 Minutes and then lower temperature to 160°C and cook for another 30 to 40 Minutes until firm and golden.
- Cool in the tin, before taking out the pan/ mould.
- Top with crumbled feta and garnish with micro herbs before serving.