- 2 cans KOO CHICKPEAS, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped (about 1 - 1 ¼ cups)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup seeded and chopped green bell pepper
- 500g white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 small chili, seeded and chopped (optional)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive, grapeseed, or sunflower oil
- To serve: parsley, lime wedges, and 3 cups cooked quinoa or cooked basmati rice
Kitchen gadgets:Sharp knife, Fying pan, Spatula
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the onion and peppers. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the onion is clear and soft. Add a few tablespoons of water as needed to prevent the vegetables from sticking.
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Mix the vegetables and cover the pan. Allow the mushrooms to cook for another five minutes, or until they've released their liquid and are soft and cooked through.
- While the vegetables cook, mix your spices (salt, turmeric, chili powder, smoked paprika, and pepper flakes) together.
- When the mushrooms are cooked, add the spice blend, the nutritional yeast, and the chickpeas, as well as about a third or half cup of water. Stir the mixture thoroughly to be sure everything is well combined.
- Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until everything is hot and tasty. Check the mixture for seasoning and season to taste with additional spices, salt, or pepper.
- To serve, divide the chickpea scramble over even portions of cooked rice (basmati would be lovely here) or quinoa, and garnish with lime wedges and a sprinkle of parsley.