- 2 cans KOO Lentils, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup tamarind water (available from Asian grocers)
- 1 can All Gold diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground roasted cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 red shallots, finely sliced
Kitchen gadgets:Deep saucepan, Wooden spoon, Jug
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry until it is lightly browned, stirring so it doesn't stick and burn.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and paprika and cook for a moment.
- Add the tomatoes and ginger and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tamarind water and the reserved lentil liquid.
- Simmer the mixture, covered, over a low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the lentils, garam masala and cumin and cook for about 3 minutes or until the lentils are heated through.
- Check seasoning, place in a bowl and garnish with shallots.
- Serve with steamed rice or rice pilaf.
Courtesy of Niel Perry