- 125 g butter
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 can KOO Lentils in Brine, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs dried oreganum
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 sachet KOO Tomato paste
- 1 can chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 tbs sugar
- 45 ml Worcestershire Sauce
- 90 g dark chocolate
- 2 cans KOO Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- Salt & pepper
- Large soft tortillas, avocados: diced, fresh coriander, sour cream, lettuce (optional)
- Spring onions, chopped, lime or lemon wedges
Kitchen gadgets:Deep pan/ pot
- Spiced Rice: Heat Butter, and add the cumin seeds, chilli flakes and spices, add the lentils and fold in the rice, mix to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Con Carne: Heat a little oil in a pan and brown the mince, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the same pot, add a little extra oil. Add the onions, garlic and peppers and sauté for a minute. Add oil the dry spices & herbs (paprika, coriander, cumin, oreganum & cinnamon) and fry for another minute. Add the mince back to the pan and mix to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and the chocolate. Bring to the boil and stir. Reduce heat.
- Keeping it closed, allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take off the lid and add the kidney beans, fold in well.
- Allow to simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning and add all the fresh chopped coriander. Serve as required
- Serving Suggestion: Layer rice, con carne in a large soft tortilla, top with avocado, lettuce and sour cream and roll up. Garnish with spring onions and a wedge of lemon/lime.