- 4 slices of bacon, diced and fried
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chilli, diced
- ½ tsp dried oregano or 1 ½ tsp freshly chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans KOO Red Kidney Beans or KOO BUTTER BEANS IN BRINE
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup avo pulp or guacamole
Kitchen gadgets:Sauce pan, Blender, Non-stick pan, Wooden spoon, Mixing bowl
- Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking sheet with grease-proof paper. Spread the potatoes and the half of the diced onion out on the baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle evenly with the pepper, then drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the butter. Stir to coat the onions and potatoes evenly, then bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking for even browning.
- When the potatoes have finished cooking, sprinkle with the salt and place back in the oven. Turn the oven off — the residual heat will keep the potatoes warm while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining half of the diced onions and the diced chilli and sauté; until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the oregano and cumin and sauté; for another minute, until aromatic. Add KOO beans of your choice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer on the back of the stove for 30 minutes, then turn off heat and let sit, covered, until ready to serve.
- Melt the butter in a medium nonstick pan over low heat. Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk until whites and yolks are thoroughly blended. Pour into the pan, still on low heat. Cook until the eggs are set but still a bit wet, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the eggs are done, warm the tortillas: Place the tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp tea towel, or use a microwaveable tortilla warmer. Heat the tortillas until steaming hot and pliable, about 30 seconds.
- Place two warm tortillas side by side on each plate. Onto each tortilla, ladle a quarter-cup each of the scrambled eggs, beans, and home-fried potatoes. Sprinkle each tortilla with a tablespoon of crumbled bacon and two tablespoons of cheese. Top with a heaping tablespoon of guacomole. Serve immediately.